Entrepreneur and consultant Sam Ovens is the founder of OVENS International, a company he originally founded out of his parents’ garage and ultimately grew into an international consulting firm capable of generating over $10 million in profit over just four years. During that time, Sam also managed to create another wildly profitable business — SnapInspect — that he eventually sold for substantially more than he initially put into it. A digital application designed to streamline property inspections, SnapInspect is now used in 16 countries and clearly demonstrated Sam’s unrivaled ability to recognize a need within the market and quickly fill that need through his entrepreneurial acumen.
1. What do you do for work?
I continue to run OVENS International, which is a digital marketing consulting firm that also provides e-learning and training programs.
2. Why did you choose to pursue a career in the field in which you currently work?
It was initially a decision made out of a desire to take control over my professional career after a poor experience in the corporate world.
3. In what way does your professional role make it possible for you to have a positive impact on others?
Through the e-learning and training programs offered by OVENS International, I have helped aspiring consultants generate incredible wealth in a short period of time. So far, we have nine millionaire consultants and 136 more six-figure consultants.
4. What is it that you enjoy most about living in Australia?
Living in Australia has reminded me how fortunate I have been as an entrepreneur since I am able to split my time between New York, New Zealand and Australia.
5. What do you do for recreation?
I like to go fishing, swimming and diving.
6. If you could travel anywhere outside of Australia, where would you go and why?
I recently visited the Adirondacks in Upstate New York, so I’d like to see more of that area the next time I have an opportunity to travel.
7. Aussie rules football, cricket, rugby or something else?
Rugby is the best out of those three, but I prefer to spend my free time out on the water.
8. Is there an Australian you admire or who has had a profound influence on you personally or professionally? Explain.
My entrepreneurial ventures have mostly been inspired by the innovators of Silicon Valley, especially Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook.
9. What advice would you give to a first-time visitor to Australia?
Scuba diving is one of the most enjoyable experiences available in Australia, even if it means having to earn your certification either before or during the visit.
10. What is the funniest or strangest question a tourist has ever asked you about Australia?
I’ve been asked about Lord of the Rings more times than I’d care to admit, and on more than one occasion a tourist has asked me how to get to Mordor, the Shire or Rivendell.